Thursday, March 18, 2010

Memories.....Grandpa's barn





This is our "little red barn". I love our little barn and I can't help but think about my Grandpa's barn almost every time I look at it! I half expect to go back in time when I open the door to our barn. Not that Grandpa's barn was anywhere near the size of ours-the barn on the farm was huge. It WAS red and shaped like our little one is though!! I believe it may have been built in the late 1800's by my Great Grandfather. I was told it caught on fire and burned down once, then was rebuilt, but I do not know details-will have to get the history on the barn sometime. My cousins and I played in the hayloft-the boys built awesome tunnels throughout the hayloft. It was amazing fun!! The cows were milked in the barn-I can still remember the barn smell....sweet milk, cows and manure!! I was always fascinated by the barn and the farm activities in that old barn!! The family farm was eventually sold and as the years went by, the old barn aged and begin to deteriorate. Gradually its roof sloped in and it was one day leveled. When I traveled back to Minnesota, I took my family to the farm to see where their great-great (and even another great for MY grandaughter) grandparents had lived. The barn was no longer standing and I felt a saddness to see the empty spot where the big old red barn had proudly stood for so many years. We made many wonderful memories on the farm - I miss you Grandpa and Grandma....someday I will see you again!

1 comment:

  1. Very cool memories! =) I had a lot of fun playing the Dicks barn in Wisconsin...there's just something to be said about playing in a barn! =)...maybe that's what's wrong with the world today...not enough barns!

    ReplyDelete